On Tuesday, May 20th at 7:00 PM, Appalachian Outdoors proudly welcomes Jennifer Pharr Davis, the 2012 National Geographic Adventurer of the Year.
Jennifer will be in town promoting her new book Called Again: A Story of Love and Triumph.
The book recounts some of the more notable moments of Jennifer’s record-setting 46 day trek on the Appalachian Trail. From overcoming unimaginable odds through determination and perseverance to the love and support of her husband and family, Jennifer’s story is sure to captivate the imagination and hearts of all.
Jennifer will give a brief presentation on Called Again, discussing some of the more impactful moments of her Appalachian Trail adventure. She’ll also be showing slides from her 12,000 miles of hikes that have spanned 6 continents. This will follow with a book signing and meet and greet.
Admission to the event at Appalachian Outdoors is free, and we’ll have giveaways and store specials throughout the night.
Come on in and hear a truly inspirational story while browsing around for your gear for your next adventure.
See our bio blog post for more information on Jennifer and her inspiring adventures or click the links below for more information on Jennifer Pharr Davis.
What: An Evening with Jennifer Pharr Davis
When: Tuesday, May 20th at 7:00 PM
Where: Appalachian Outdoors
123 S. Allen St.
State College, PA 16801
Description of Called Again: A Story of Love and Triumph
In 2011, Jennifer Pharr Davis became the overall record holder on the Appalachian Trail. By hiking 2,181 miles in 46 days – an average of 47 miles per day – she became the first female to ever set that mark. But this is not a book about records or numbers; this is a book about endurance and faith, and most of all love.
The most amazing part of this story is not found at the finish, but is discovered through the many challenges, lessons and relationships that present themselves along the trail. This is Jennifer’s story, in her own words, about how she started this journey with a love for hiking and more significantly a love for her husband Brew. Together, they were able to overcome rugged mountains and raging rivers, sleet storms and 100 degree heat, shin-splints and illnesses. They made new friends and tested old friendships; they shared together laughter, and tears – a lot of tears. But, through it all, they fell more in love with one another and with the wilderness.
Testimonials For Jennifer Pharr Davis’s Talks
“Jennifer’s story is more than just breaking records; it’s a story about triumph over hardship – pushing far beyond what she thought she was capable of doing. But her story is also about support and dedication to others; acknowledging that her journey is more than just her own accomplishments. Jennifer is a talented speaker, illuminating her journey in a compelling and gripping way. Our audience very much enjoyed her talk; she is one of the best speakers we’ve had for the Outdoor Program.”
Dan McCoy, Outdoor Rec Coordinator
University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
“Jennifer gave a great presentation about her experiences on the Appalachian Trail. She is an engaging and entertaining speaker and her program is a great wilderness adventure that is sure to be a crowd pleaser with hikers and book lovers alike.”
Sarah Rosenblum, Director
Marshalltown Public Library
(recipient of one of five National Medals of Library Service in 2013),
1. New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/sports/speed-hiker-pharr-davis-thrives-on-rhythms-of-appalachian-trail.html?pagewanted=all
2. Washington Post Express: http://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2013/07/16/a-walk-to-remember-2/
3. Experience Life: http://experiencelife.com/article/jennifer-pharr-davis-trailblazer/
4. National Geographic: http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/adventurers-of-the-year/2012/jennifer-pharr-davis/
5. ESPN: http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/article/9444142/espnw-jennifer-pharr-davis-shares-tales-trail
6. The Daily Beast: http://www.thedailybeast.com/witw/articles/2013/10/24/called-again-love-endurance-and-shattering-records-on-the-appalachian-trail.html
7. NPR’s Talk of the Nation: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/15/139648754/hiker-blazes-appalachian-trail-in-just-46-days
8. Running Times: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19806
9. Ultrarunning Magazine: http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/features/spotlight/jennifer-pharr-davis-is-q.shtml
10. Men’s Journal: http://www.mensjournal.com/jennifer-pharr-davis-beats-appalachian-trail-record
11. CBS Early Show: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7376119n
12. Fox and Friends: http://video.foxnews.com/v/2615127187001/trail-blazer-author-sets-record-hiking-appalachian-trail/
13. iRunFar: http://www.irunfar.com/2011/08/jennifer-pharr-davis-post-appalachian-trail-record-interview.html