Appalachian Ski & Outdoors
123 South Allen Street
State College, PA 16801
Phone: 800-690-5220 (toll free) | 814-234-3000
Email: sales at appoutdoors.com
Store Hours (eastern standard time):
Mon-Thurs: 9:30AM - 8:30PM
Fri: 9:30AM - 9:00PM
Sat: 9:00AM - 8:00PM
Sun: 10:00AM - 6:00PM
Welcome to Appalachian Ski & Outdoors, the adventuresource for quality outdoor clothing and equipment since 1974.
We carry North Face sleeping bags and tents, Mountain Hardwear jackets and equipment, and Patagonia clothing as well as packs from Osprey, Gregory, North Face, Mountainsmith, and Lowe Alpine. Inside our pages you'll find other great outdoor gear including backpacks, hiking boots, MSR stoves, Chaco sandals, Rossignol skis, and Black Diamond climbing equipment. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at: email@example.com for more information or call us toll free at 1-800-690-5220 for personal customer attention.
From the vendors below we carry the following products within our online store for adventure, travel, and mountaineering; backpacks, hiking boots, sleeping bags, tents, rock & ice climbing equipment, water filters & purifiers, child carriers, sandals, alpine & cross country skis, snowshoes, and outdoor clothing. We guarantee your complete satisfaction and you have our commitment to the best customer service that can be delivered.
Alpina Skis + Arcteryx + Asolo + Black Diamond + Bluewater + Burton + Cascade Designs + Chaco + Columbia Sportswear + Eagle Creek + Eureka + Ex Officio + Fischer + Five-Ten + Gregory + Jansport + K2 Skis & Snowboards + Karhu + Katadyn + Kelty + La Sportiva + Lowe Alpine + Merrell + Metolius + Montrail + Mountain Hardwear + MSR + North Face + Oakley + Osprey + Patagonia + Petzl + Prana + Ride Snowboards + Rossignol Skis + Royal Robbins + Salomon + Sierra Designs + SOG + Sterling Ropes + Swiss Army Knives + Teva + Thermarest + Thule + Tubbs Snowshoes + Vasque + Volkl Skis
If you're not able to find a particular item, please call us toll free at 800-690-5220 or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We carry many more items in our retail store than we have represented on this site. We are a dealer for practically all major manufacturer's in the outdoor, ski, and snowboard industries and are happy to order any item for you at any time. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff is ready and able to help you with any questions you may have.
Web Fulfillment Sales Associate
• Fulfill all web orders placed via appoutdoors.com and amazon.com in a timely, efficient manner to completion
• Ship phone orders taken by floor staff
• Process web returns and occasionally store returns that come in via USPS or UPS
• Provide the best possible customer service at all times via telephone and electronic communication
• Keep work area orderly and clean
• Check shipping supply levels and order when necessary
• Complete projects independently and in groups when required
• Basic computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
• Experience with providing excellent customer service
• Ability to work independently as well as in groups
• Ability to meet deadlines and time management
• Ability to multitask during high order volume times
• Web Manager/Web Coordinator
• Receiving Staff
• Inventory Manager
• Merchandising Manager
• Data Entry Manager
• UPS Driver and Customer Support
• USPS attendants and Online Customer Support
• Assistant Mangers and Buyers
If you would like to be a member of our team, please click here for a Job Application. Please print and fill out both pages. Hand deliver or mail to:
123 South Allen Street
State College, PA 16801
Phone: 800-690-5220 (toll free) | 814-234-3000
Appalachian Outdoors is proud to be a member of the Grassroots Outdoor Alliance. The Grassroots Outdoor Alliance is a group of independent outdoor shops dedicated to the sustainability of the specialty outdoor channel and the quality of the outdoor enthusiast's experience.
Milton Rock Gym is your source for adventure. It doesn't matter whether you are a first time climber or a world renown one, whatever are your intentions - to get strong, train for a trip, celebrate a birthday party, build a corporate team or come in out from the rain, MRG can guide you to a vertical adventure.
Joseph Humphreys is a nationally known fly fisherman, conservationist, author, and educator. He has been a fishing instructor to both common folks and VIPs for over forty years. His pupils have included former President Jimmy Carter, Vice President Richard Cheney, basketball-coaching legend Bobby Knight, and many others.
Stay in race shape after the Hyner Challenge, and join us for the first annual Rothrock Challenge. If you liked the Hyner, then you'll love this one as well!
HikeRun.com, a grueling Trophy Series trail event that attracted over 650 runners and hikers last year. A great post race party at the start/finish area hosted by the Western Clinton Sportmen's Association is a great way to meet fellow trail enthusiasts. This year we hope to have a huge population of campers to extend the fun before and after the event. This is PA Wilds at its best and with over 425 already signed up, we are well on our way for another successful day!
ClearWater Conservancy of Central Pennsylvania, Inc. is a Centre County based land trust and natural resource conservation organization formed in 1980. Their mission is to promote conservation and restoration of natural resources in central Pennsylvania through land conservation, water resource protection, and environmental outreach to the community.
Tussey Mountainback is a 50 mile relay and ultra marathon that takes place on October 16, 2010. It is a 50-mile, single-loop, mostly unpaved course through central Pennsylvania's scenic Rothrock State Forest during peak foliage season. Last's year's Tussey Moutainback raised over $9,000 in support of the work of Centre Volunteers in Medicine. This year's beneficiary is the emergency shelter program of Housing Traditions, Inc., known as Centre House. Registration for the 2010 race is now open! Visit http://www.tusseymountainback.com/ for more details.
If you have a local link you would like to be posted on our site, please email us at: email@example.com
Local Outdoor Activities & Events
Store Staff & Alumni Websites
While a large part of our business is to provide customers with quality clothing and gear to safely and comfortably enjoy the outdoors, we recognize the important and unique opportunity that we have to act as stewards in protecting our natural environment. Thus, we feel that through generous support of programs, events and organizations and instituting sustainable business practices that we can serve as a leader in preserving open spaces and reducing our impact on the natural environment.
We are committed to supporting organizations in the local and larger community that preserve open spaces, protect wildlife and their habitats, educate and promote sustainability. Among the organizations that we've supported in the present and past include:
• Clearwater Conservancy
• Mt. Nittany Conservancy
• Beech Creek Watershed
• Trout Unlimited
• Ruffed Grouse Society
• Moshanon Group of the Sierra Club
• Centre Wildlife Care
• Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
• Pennsylvania Chapter of the Wildlife Society
• Millbrook Marsh Nature Center
• Shavers Creek Environmental Center
• Penn State Eco-Action
• Earth Day
• Boy Scouts of America
We believe that getting people outside and active increases their awareness and appreciation of the natural environment. Thus, we share our love of the environment by providing and sponsoring events and programs such as:
• Free University - a monthly community outreach program
• Banff Film Festival
• Patagonia Wild & Scenic Environmental Film Festival
• Rothrock Challenge - 30K Trail Race
• Hyner Challenge
• Strides for Nature 6K
• Tussey Mountain Back Trail Race
• Tri Tri Again Backwoods Repeated Trail Triathlon
• Bald Eagle Megatransect
• Penn State Outing Club
• Penn State Orion Program
• Bloomsburg University Quest Program
• On the Fly
• On the Field
• Boy Scout programs
• Tussey Mountain Alpine Racing Team
• Trail Clean-up days
• Events and programs at local state parks.
While selecting our vendors, we consider their business practices, their use of sustainable materials, humanitarian and community outreach and Fair Trade practices. We also take advantage of programs that they offer including:
• Patagonia Common Threads Recycling Program
• PrAna Natural Power Initiative
• Camelbak Innowave Chiller water cooler
• Sterling rope recycling program
• Clothing made of sustainable materials such as organic cotton.
We have implemented green business practices that reduce waste and our energy usage and continually strive to find additional ways to reduce our environmental impact. Among our business practices we:
• Reuse and recycle most of the incoming shipping materials.
• Recycle old merchandise fixtures and office furniture and equipment.
• Recycle all in-store generated trash (paper, plastic, cardboard, etc.)
• Deal with local businesses where possible to help reduce carbon footprint of transporting supplies.
• Adjust business procedures to reduce the amount of paper used.
• Use environmentally friendly cleaning supplies.
• Use energy efficient lighting (fluorescents & compact fluorescents) with environmentally friendly ballasts.
• Turn off lights in areas that aren't being used.
• Limit the use of the air conditioning and heating.
• Give away free reusable poly-pro shopping bags.
• Replaced two HVAC systems with a single energy efficient one.